McKenna may not be my real name, and I may technically not be her, but she has become an alter ego of sorts for me. I know, that sounds totally crazy, like an imaginary friend, or an unrealistic expectation set for myself. But as much as I am not McKenna, at my core, that’s who I really am.
McKenna is everything I strive to be, she has no history, no bad qualities, no personal tragedy or trauma. McKenna is what everyone who has ever been there for me and supported me has wanted me to be.
But in order to become to McKenna, I must first discover who she is….?
- Bold and fearless
- Not fearless as in has no fears, but fearless as in looks her fears dead in the eyes and says “You don’t scare me” and disregards fear like you disregard trash thrown out on the street.
- Happy and optimistic
- Happiness hasn’t been one of those things that have been easily found in my life nor has a trusting optimistic viewpoint. The past can influence so much of the present, but McKenna has no past and no reason to be so bitter.
- Sarcastic and witty
- Okay, I am already very sarcastic and pretty witty on my own already but this is one of those things I wouldn’t give up for all the people who tell me that it’s hateful and mean. (Take a joke, or perhaps don’t be so dumb)
- Confident and unafraid of opinions
- I always believed if you faked it long enough it was real. That’s a freaking lie don’t fall for it. I am going to own everything I do as if my life depends on it, and I am not going to care what you have to say about it because it’s not about you. *cue shock gasps of horror*
- Disciplined and organized
- I am a chaotic tornado of clothes, ideas, emotions, good intentions (paving the way to hell) and unfinished projects. I will stick to a schedule if my life depends on it, which it kinda does, and I am going to start finishing EVERYTHING!
- Fun and adventurous
- Spontaneity is definitely not my strong point. In fact, the very thought of leaving with no plan is giving me a mini panic attack (deep breaths!). I wanna try new things, I wanna have fun, I wanna look back on a life that I lived, not a life that just kinda happened.
McKenna has only positive qualities to me and that’s because there is no room for negativity in my future. The filing cabinet in my brain that handles negative emotions is full and is being downsized in the mental remodel, so that’s gotta go. From today until it becomes irrelevant, I am going to ask myself whenever I feel doubt, insecurity, or fear, “what would McKenna do?” and then I am going to do that.